Monday, June 1, 2015

WRITING PROMPTS

Image found at: maisonboheme.blogspot.co.uk
In Afrikaans (one of the few times this happens!) this title would be more apt and more beautiful - it would translate to Skryf Inspirasie.  

To write is time consuming and lonely.  That said, it is also extremely fulfilling and a lot of fun! You can create worlds and people as you see fit.  And for me the ultimate pleasure in this task is that if one person reads this, and derives half the pleasure I did from writing it, then I am happy.

Readers (or at least I do) read to escape daily life.  Reading is a comfortable, non-expensive and harmless activity which can take you to places and worlds you would otherwise not be able to visit.   Martin Tupper said that a good book is the best of friends, the same to-day and for ever. (1838) It therefore makes sense, that as a writer one must be extremely diligent and careful what one pens.  Because a reader, when he makes time to read something that you have written, trusts that you will not waste his/her time.

Which brings me to the reason for this blog posting.

Everybody know that an athlete must excercise regularly to be a good athlete.  A ballerina dances every day for hours to become an excellent dancer. A pianist practice for hours each day to perfect his/her musical skills, as do a violinist, singer and so forth.  

A writer must write every day in order to become a good writer.  Yes, all authors know that you cannot afford to sit around behind your desk and not write your target amount of words per day.  But (for me at least) there comes a time during each writing session, that I must move away from the novel, and do something else in order to gain clarity.  Why not practice my writing skills?  Added to this benficial act is the fact that I will have the opportunity to write about things, places and circumstances I would not regularly write about.  Subjects will be introduced which will never be a novel or a short story, but still fun and entertaining to write (and read!) about.

From today I will regularly post a writing prompt (Skryf Inspirasie) on this blog, with my interpretation of that prompt.  I would love to receive feedback on these excercises! Be kind though - a writer's tolerence for critique is not as strong as we make out!  Furthermore I suspect most (or at least some) of these excercises will appear in Afrikaans.  I apoligise beforehand to my English readers.

Have a wonderful Monday dear Reader.  I am looking forward to share my writing excercises with you.


2 comments:

  1. While I'm not a big reader, I'm looking forward to reading those that I do! You have a very easy to follow writing style Gerda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby, thank you very much! I have added a translate button, so if some of them is in Afrikaans, I hope you can translate it! xxx

    ReplyDelete